System Alert: Temporary Reduction in Vine Transit Service starting January 22, 2022/ Reduccion Temporal del Servicio de Transito Vine a Partier del 22 de Enero de 2022

Frequently Asked Questions



What is a transfer? How do I use it? 

Transfers are issued at the time of boarding. The only exception is on Routes 10 and 11, where passengers can request one upon disembarking the bus. There are no transfers between Routes 10 and 11 or to the Route 29. Transfers are allowed to the Route 21. Transfers are valid for ONE hour after they are issued. Transfers are also issued with the use of a ride from a 20-ride pass.

I want to learn how to ride the bus. Is there someone that can help me? 

We have a travel training program that can help you learn how to use the bus. This program is comprised of a group of volunteers who will take you out and teach you how to use the bus. You will also receive a free 31-day pass so you can learn how to use the bus on our dime. To schedule an appointment please call our main administrative line at (707) 259-8631.

What is a Clipper card?

A Clipper card is a regional fare card that is usable on all Bay Area transit systems. They can be purchased at the Soscol Gateway Transit Center for $3.00, or at select local Walgreens and WholeFoods stores. Once you have your card you can add cash value at the Soscol Gateway Transit Center, Walgreens, WholeFoods, or online (Please note that as of 1/17/22 the Clipper Machine located at the Soscol Gateway Transit Center is temporarily out of order). The easiest way to add value is to create an online account at  If you are 65 years of age or older you can receive a Clipper Card for free with proof of age at the Soscol Gateway Transit Center. Youth passes can be acquired in the same way. If you have a disability you can apply for Regional Transit Connection (RTC) discount card. For more information visit the RTC website. A copy of the application can be  found here. The closest location to Napa to drop off your application is in Vallejo at 311 Sacramento Street, Vallejo, CA 94590. Fares and fare media prices are adjusted to the appropriate fare category e.g. if you have a senior Clipper card you will only be charged the senior fare on all transit providers in the Bay Area.

Are there discounts on passes for social service agencies? 

Unfortunately, no. Our passes are already deeply discounted. The true cost to ride the bus is actually about $8 per passenger. In order to receive funding we are also required by the State of California to recoup 15% of our operating costs through fares. With this being the case every dollar counts. We do, however, provide the opportunity to purchase passes in bulk. Please call (707) 259-8631 for more information on the process.

However, individuals can apply for the new means-based fare pilot program called Clipper START. Using a Clipper START card on Vine Transit will enable to rider to receive a 20% discount on their ride. For more information on how to apply and who qualifies for the program, visit

What do the dashes (—) mean on the maps and schedules?

A dash under a timepoint means the bus does not serve that particular stop on that trip.

Can I park my bike at The Vine Transit facility?

Yes, but Vine Transit assumes no responsibility for bikes stolen or damaged. Bikes may only be parked in the bike rack or in a Bike Link locker, located at the south end of the facility. If you need to leave your bike for more than a few hours or overnight, we strongly recommend locking your bike to a rack or renting a Bike Link locker. Lockers are available at the Soscol Gateway Transit Center, Redwood Park and Ride, and Yountville Park and Ride with locker access using the Bike Link system.  Information on how to use Bike Link is available at Bike Link passes can be purchased at the Soscol Gateway Transit center for $20.

Why does the bus smell like exhaust fumes? Am I in danger?

The particulate matter emitted from our buses’ exhaust must meet very rigorous standards per the California Air Resource Board. Part of this includes subjecting particulate matter to extreme heat to reduce the amount emitted from the tailpipe. This process can sometimes lead to an increased smell of “fumes”. Most times we try to do this burn off when no passengers are aboard but there are cases where the bus’s computer will deem it necessary while in service. The smell, although unpleasant, is not harmful to passengers.

Why do I see empty buses on the road?  

An empty or almost-empty bus may indicate a route with low ridership; often, however, you’re seeing the bus at either the beginning or the end of its run (that is, before gathering most of its passengers or after dropping most of them off). Even our most popular routes tend to see lower ridership before and after the peak commuting hours in the morning and evening.

Why are smaller buses not used for all The Vine routes?

We have a number of smaller buses for use where practicable. However, in our system, buses circulate among routes; after finishing a low-ridership route, a bus may immediately go on to serve one of our more popular routes. As far as expense is concerned, the cost of the fuel saved by using smaller vehicles is offset by our more rugged and reliable (and, therefore, less expensive to maintain) larger vehicles. Federal requirements mandate we keep a vehicle over 30 feet in service for 12 years and vehicles under 30 feet for 7 years. Larger vehicles provide a more cost effective option. They also allow for great flexibility when putting vehicles in service.

What do I do if I see suspicious or criminal behavior on the bus or at a bus stop?

If it is criminal activity please call 911. The Vine does not have a police force nor have the ability to police illegal behavior. In partnership with The Vine local police and sheriff assist with all enforcement on Vine buses and at Vine bus stops. You can also inform the driver who may also contact the authorities. If you ever feel unsafe in any way at all, inform the driver right away.

Can I bring my electric bicycle with me?

It depends on the size of your electric bicycle. If it can go on the outside front bike rack, we can take it. The bike and/or battery cannot go inside the bus and you have to be able to lift the bicycle yourself.

The outside racks can accommodate large and heavily weighted commuter bikes, cruisers, and some electric bike models that fall below the per wheel tray weight requirements list below:

• The bicycle rack shall accommodate bicycles with wheel sizes from 20 inches to 29 inches, excluding tandems and recumbent bicycles

• The bicycle rack shall accommodate bicycles with a wheelbase dimension of up to 44 inches

• The bicycle rack shall accommodate tire widths up to 2.3 inches

• The bicycle rack shall accommodate bicycles less than 55 pounds