The Lifeline Taxi Program is a valuable taxpayer-funded component of our agency’s transportation services. While not intended as a primary means of transportation, this program was created to provide a lifeline service to supplement the regular VINE bus system for seniors and/or persons with disabilities that have evening trips after the bus goes out of service, or on a day when the rider may not feel well enough to take the bus. NVTA (Napa Valley Transportation Authority) uses public transit tax dollars to subsidize taxi rides for participants.
Under the program, eligible City of Napa residents may take a cab ride anywhere in the City of Napa and NVTA will pay up to 50% of the cost of the cab ride.
Who can qualify for this program?
To be eligible, you must be a resident of the City of Napa and be ONE of the following:
- Be a person 65 years of age or older, OR
- ADA certified, OR
- Disabled of any age.
Applicants 65 years of age or older are required to provide proof of age such as a copy of a California driver’s license, California Identification Card or Medicare Card. Already ADA certified individuals must provide their Vine Go ID Number.
Individuals seeking enrollment who have not sought ADA eligibility may still apply for the Taxi Scrip program by completing Part III of the Taxi Scrip Application evidencing their disability, signed by a California licensed medical professional. We do not accept copies of disabled placards as proof of disability without filling out Part III of the application.
How the program works:
Individuals enrolled in this program can purchase taxi tickets for up to half the cost of a regular taxi ride. Each booklet costs $10 (maximum of 3 booklets per month) and includes $20 worth of taxi tickets. Individuals can use the taxi scrip tickets to pay up to $12 per taxi ride. All taxi scrip enrollees will be provided with a Taxi Scrip ID card that must be shown to the taxi driver before paying with Taxi Scrip tickets.
Other key program rules:
- All taxi trips paid with Taxi Scrip must originate and end within Napa city limits.
- No tipping with Taxi Scrip.
- Taxis are permitted to wait a maximum of 5 minutes per trip.
- No change is given for rides paid with Taxi Scrip.
- No refunds or exchanges of Taxi Scrip.
- Lost or stolen ID cards must be reported immediately. NVTA will replace a lost or stolen card once every 24 months at no cost, after which program participants will be charged $20 for card replacement.
Taxi Scrip may be purchased at:
- The Soscol Gateway Transit Center: 625 Burnell St. Napa, CA 94559
- The Napa Senior Center: 1500 Jefferson St. Napa, CA 94559
- By phone at (707) 251-2800
How can I apply?
1. Read the Taxi Scrip Eligibility Guide
3. Mail or fax it to NVTA at:
625 Burnell St.
Napa, CA 94559
Fax: (707) 259-8638